Anonymous takes down UK govenment websites in support of Assange
The DDoS attack, which flooded the website with requests, knocked it over for some time. Although it is back up now it is possible that it, or other government onling properties will be targeted again. At least one Anonymous Twitter account said that the Department for Work and Pensions website was also down last night.
The action happened under an #OpAssange hashtag banner and started last night, around 24 hours after Julian Assange spoke from the Ecuadorian Embassy.
The Ministry of Justice confirmed the attack, but said that no material, sensitive or otherwise, had been taken.
“The Ministry of Justice website was the subject of an online attack last night at around 20:00 hours. This is a public information website and no sensitive data is held on it. No other Ministry of Justice systems have been affected,” said a spokesperson.
“Measures put in place to keep the website running mean that some visitors may be unable to access the site intermittently. We will continue to monitor the situation and will take measures accordingly.”
A Swedish health and fitness website called Primavi.se has also been attacked and defaced in support of Assange, though its operators do not appear to have regained control of it yet.
Where the home page once stood there is now a copy of a video of Assange’s speech from Sunday and the following message.
“Greetings, We are Anonymous. We will not abandon Julian Assange nor will we abandon the cause of WikiLeaks. Telling the truth is not a crime. Whistleblowers and hacktivists are not criminals. In the words of Julian Assange, ‘There is unity in the oppression. There must be absolute unity and determination in the response.’ Hide the truth from us, demonize us and prosecute us but expect us.”