Anonymous recently declared “total war” against Donald Trump, but a new release from the hacker collective says the operation to take down the presidential candidate’s websites is mainly about gaining publicity.
“Recently you have seen that an alleged #OpTrump, now resurrected in 2016, has planned a massive [distributed denial-of-service] attack on April 1, 2016. We do not particularly like this idea, but have decided to make an exception and allow this,” an Anon called Beemsee writes.
DDoS attacks are a way of harnessing multiple computers to take down a website, but it’s as simple as typing a website address in and clicking a button. Beemsee writes, “DDoS attacks ONLY serve to gain publicity, we know they are not the best way to directly attack Donald Trump.”
In a video posted to YouTube earlier this month, a masked man says, “we have been watching you for a long time and what we have seen is deeply disturbing.” The man goes on to ask that people shut down Trump’s websites and “reveal what he doesn’t want the public to know.”
The Anonymous “total war” declaration called for everyone to target, the website for Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago, on April 1. The collective also posted other Trump website addresses for targeting, in addition to purported personal information about him, his agent, and lawyer.
“The current directive for the official operation, from now until April 1st, is to scan and exploit vulnerabilities found on Donald Trump’s websites.”
The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Tech Insider.